Katie Clark was born in 1897 to Lindesay and Jessie Clark. Lindesay was the Mines Manager for Briseis Tin Mine at Derby in Northeast Tasmania.
The family lived in Launceston and Katie went to Broadland House, followed by Collegiate School in Hobart for a couple of years.
She married Stanley Lade at Derby in about 1924 and then moved to Longford where their eldest child Bill was born. Later they moved into Launceston and lived in a house where Cosgrove Park is now. After the depression they built a house in Stewart Street, Launceston where Bill and his two younger sisters, Angela and Julia grew up.
It is believed that Katie’s mother commissioned Nellie to carve this dower chest as a 21st birthday present for Katie in 1918.
Katie’s dower chest is currently treasured by her granddaughter Julia in Hobart.