Settle carved 1903 for Mrs Gibson.
This settle has the letters “WG” on the left front of the chest part of the settle which is the monogram of William Gibson of “Scone”. Mrs Gibson was Elvina Beaumont Grubb prior to her marriage to William Gibson. They had a son Ernest William Gibson and 2 daughters Lillian and Eva, with the daughters the last Gibsons to live at “Scone” as it then became Eskleigh Nursing Home. Lillian and Eva passed it down to the current Gibson owners of the chest.
William Gibson was the owner and stud-master of the “Scone” Merino stud which, in the second half of the C19, was one of the Tasmanian studs that had a great influence on the development of Merinos Australia wide. “Scone” prospered during this period and the grand house which is now Eskleigh was built in 1870 and revamped in 1880.
The settle has the Scottish inscription along the top of the back “Come set ye doon and bide a wee”. The coat of arms in the centre of the back is the Gibson family crest. The inscription within the coat of arms “Pandite coelestes portae” means “Open the gates of heaven”. And the three pelicans appear to have an important place within the coat of arms.