Honour roll, Clarence Municipality. Carved 1924.
The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 – 1954), Saturday 1 December 1923, page 8
CLARENCE SOLDIERS’ MEMORIAL.
Mrs. Payne, of Antill Street, Hobart, has prepared a handsomely carved honour board for the Clarence soldiers’ memorial, which it is proposed to erect at the post office at Bellerive. The joint secretaries of the Clarence Soldiers’ Gift Fund, M. C. Dickson and M. O’May, are now finalising matters, and in order that the list of the names of the soldiers who went from the Clarence municipality and paid the supreme sacrifice, shall be absolutely complete, they are asking all districts to send in their names without delay. When this has been done, and the names have been scrolled, the unveiling ceremony will be performed.
The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 – 1954), Tuesday 22 January 1924, page 10
Clarence Soldiers’ Memorial.
There is now on view in the window of Messrs. Nettlefold’s garage, Macquarie street a handsome memorial board inscribed with the names of the soldiers of Clarence who fell in the Great War, some 54 in number. The board, which is of blackwood, measures about 4ft. by 8ft., and is carved with a design of sheoaks by Mrs. C. A. Payne. It bears a quotation from the work of Mr. W. H. Dawson, “The dead, they rest in peace for aye, honoured and loved and famed.” The memorial, which was constructed with the funds remaining from the Clarence Soldiers’ Gift Fund, of which Misses M. Dickson and M. O’May are joint secretaries, is to be placed temporarily in the Bellerive post office.