Coat of Arms carved 1930, Royal Society of Tasmania.
At the time of the Nellie Payne exhibition in 2015 we were unable to take a photograph of this Coat of Arms. However since then an image has become available.
The Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 – 1946), Saturday 27 September 1930, page 11
Royal Society’s Reception.
To celebrate the opening of the spacious new library of the Royal Society of Tasmania a reception was held at the Museum. About 200 guests were received in one of the large rooms by Dr. and Mrs. W. L. Crowther and Mr and Mrs. Arndell Lewis. His Excellency the Governor, who was accompanied by Miss O’Grady, formally opened the new library, which contains more than 20,000 books and pamphlets, some of which have been in the possession of the society since very early Tasmanian days.
Above the platform is the society’s coat of arms, carved by Mrs. Charles Payne, and presented by Mrs. Arndell Lewis. Mr. Arndell Lewis gave an illustrated lecturette, an outline of the history of the Royal Society, and Mr. E. E. Unwin spoke of the value of the Royal Society to the community. Dr. W. L. Crowther moved that the Royal Society of Tasmania medal be presented to Mr. Clive Lord.
After His Excellency had made the presentation and Mr. Lord had responded, a formal expression of farewell was made to Sir James O’Grady. The conversazione that was held in the art gallery was a pleasant occasion, the pictures and small cases of sparkling minerals and the suppertables with spring flowers in silver bowls and vases, providing an artistic setting.